Chemo Caps Made and Donated 425 Lap Robes Made and Donated 21

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

What is Head Huggers?

Rocky Mountain Head Huggers is a satellite group of Head Huggers. So, what is Head Huggers?

The founder, Sue W. Thompson, created the organization after being inspired by a friend. From her words and from the Head Huggers webpage;

Do you knit? Crochet? Sew?
Would you like to use this skill to help
someone who has undergone hair loss due to
chemotherapy, brain surgery, burn wounds, etc.?
I am embarking on a project to do just that, and would like to invite you to join me.
A while back, I met a wonderful woman who happened to be going through the experience of chemotherapy. Her one and only apparent side effect was that she had lost her hair. While we were out shopping and having lunch, this neat lady chose to wear a baseball cap to keep her head warm, even though the weather was mild.
Sue ThompsonPondering this later, it seemed a shame that this woman who was already braving cancer and all that this entailed, also had to suffer with a cold head. I decided to knit her a warm, soft cap. Finding knit hat patterns on the internet, I was able to knit two caps in rather quick succession... actually using up yarn left over from previous knitting projects.
Then, realizing there are a lot of folks out there with cold heads as a result of chemotherapy, I decided to do more. I have found many more hat patterns, even some specifically labeled 'chemo caps.' I have patterns for knitted caps, for crocheted caps, and for caps which can be sewn out of fleece. I have received permission from the designers of the patterns to distribute them to other craftspeople who might want to join me in this project.
My plan is to distribute the caps to hospitals, oncology offices, hospices, etc. so that they can more readily be available to those who have lost their hair due to chemotherapy. But to make it work, I need volunteers to help with the production and distribution. Won't you consider joining me?


National Founder:
Sue W. Thompson
e-mail:
 pachydermplace@hotmail.com



No comments: